Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 12, 2017

A Ford Adventure

August 1956. I had to report to my first Air Force assignment, Kelly Air Force Base in San Antonio, TX. I planned no route, but I couldn't really sight see; I had two days' drive time, and I didn't think being AWOL was a good way to start a military career.

Anyway, I was driving a beauty of a '49 Ford, and I quickly broad-brushed my route. West Virginia (heard it was beautiful and that turned out to be true) Nashville (Guitars and the Grand Old Opry) Memphis (The Sun Record company was making some noise with a guy named Elvis) and then down to the Louisiana bayou and across to Texas and Kelly AFB.

I never heard of the Texas/Louisiana border town of Beaumont, TX until I roared through it at 3AM. I think I exited Beaumont at about 3:10, and I honestly never expected to see or hear anything about it ever again.

Beaumont, sadly, filled my radar last month with the arrival of Hurricane Harvey.  And because I'd been there, however briefly and innocuously, I identified with them.  I felt their pain. It was easier to fork over a few dollars.

We should all do that - identify with people in trouble, people with problems, people with no hope - see yourself in their predicament. It shouldn't take a 60-year-old memory to spark some empathy.

                           (30)

2 comments:

ArthurKra said...

Rolling on the road to paradise with Jack.

Jack Krug said...

I'll settle for Limbo... even Purgatory